Tuesday, February 21, 2012

OOTY: And Another Recipe!


After a long day of driving, we finally arrived in Ooty, at the Tribal children's home. I didn't have much of a chance to interact with them yet since I came right before they started eating dinner and then they went to bed right after. I'm not too sure what the plan is for tomorrow but they do seem like very sweet children. They were all very shy though which reminded me of the children I've started referring to as "my children" back in Madurai. Initially they too were quite shy towards me but now that they have opened up, I am going to miss each and every one of them.

Getting to the children's home took HOURS. We also had to go up and down a few mountains and I saw some more monkesy! This time I was able to get pictures unlik the last time I saw Monkeys in India.  I also got to see a bunch of tea plantations and some coffee trees. My favorite image of the day however was watching the sunset behind the mountains! I'll upload more about the rest of my trip later. For now, Goodnight :)

COOKING WITH ESTHER AMMA: 
Here is one of the meals I had recently. There are two cauliflower side dishes and one tomato sauce, all served with rice
FRIED CAULIFLOWER
First, Wash the cauliflower and then cut it up into smaller pieces before boiling it in water.
Meanwhile, make a mixture out of gram powder, egg white, and a little salt.

Then add some curd to the mixture. Mix very well.


Then add a little tamarind powder to the mixture as well
When the cauliflower is done, add it into the mixture .
Fry the cauliflower mixture in oil. Esther Amma uses sunflower oil, but any will do. It is DELICIOUS

 CAULIFLOWER SAUCE OPTION 2

Wash the cauliflower before boiling it in water with a little salt.
Fry mustard seeds in oil and then add onions and garlic and stir. Then add the cauliflower. If you would like you can add egg to the mixture and scramble It is delicious either way

 TOMATO SAUCE

While the mustard seeds are frying in oil, cut up tomatoes and onions. Then add the onions to the mixture.

Add garlic and the tomatoes to the pan. (As well as ginger if you want)

Add a little salt and pepper to taste and then add Tamarind Powder. (Seriously, Esther Amma adds this to everything). Once cooked, you are finished :)

Non Ooty Pictures
Kartik gardening. The boys are very proud of their garden and all want me to take as many pictures as possible of all the flowers. It's very sweet but sometimes I think they use too much water!
Radiku

No comments:

Post a Comment